herpetfrog

herpetfrog

In a Fix - Linda Grimes Loved the human chameleon premise and the characters were great. All except Ciel. The woman finds out her step brother and her big brother's best friend have been breaking into her office, interfering in her cases, and other sundry invasive behaviours, in order to keep her protected from the big bad world and she goes 'meh'. Seriously? She doesn't throw a tantrum, gut them with an ice pick, or change the goddamn locks? I kept waiting for her to be righteously angry with these men who continue to manipulate her and pat her on the head through the whole book. But it never happened.

And that kind of summarises my issues with Ciel. I wanted her to show some sort of reaction to *anything* that happened in the course of the book. And the only thing she reacts to is the impending love triangle. Not the multiple kidnappings or the multiple attempts on her life or the multiple acts of violence she witnesses or is victim to. Ciel is utterly emotionally passive. It bothered me. A lot.

Aside from Ciel's flaws and the same-y-ness of all the messes she gets herself into, I quite enjoyed the book. Mark and Billy are realistic and well rounded, the dialogue is natural and funny and doesn't try too hard, and the plot is zany rather than ridiculous. In fact, it reminds me an awful lot of the early Stephanie Plum books before the plots started taking the brown acid.

All in all, it was a quick, fun read with likable male leads and a female lead with some potential. It has an interesting premise and a plot that trips along nicely even if it does get quite repetitive. I'll be back for the next installment.