herpetfrog

herpetfrog

Sandman Slim - Richard Kadrey I wasn't expecting to enjoy this. I figured I would get twenty pages into it, mutter something unkind about assholes who write in first person and present tense and consign it to the DNF pile.

At around a hundred pages I stopped beating myself up over guilty pleasures and just enjoyed the ride. I like Stark, I think he's funny and nasty and messed up. All the supporting characters, major and minor, made sense to me and were believable. The magic system worked in my head and was internally consistent.

My biggest bitch would be that present tense thing. Don't get me wrong, it worked and it was great, but every time I picked the book up, I had to recalibrate my brain to present tense narrative. It wasn't a seamless transition back into the story. Also, the pacing for the first half of the book was a bit wonky.

That said, Sandman Slim is a thoroughly enjoyable read. Stark is a snarky bastard with great lines and I'll be starting the second in the series as soon as I can load it on my tablet.