herpetfrog

herpetfrog

Staked - J.F. Lewis I stayed up way too late last night to finish this - and that about sums it up. All of the characters are gorgeously flawed - not like 'my worst flaw is that I'm too beautiful' or 'I'm really clumsy' but properly flawed. Unattractively flawed. And in vampire fiction that wins about a million style points.
Except, now that I think about it, Talbot. He's a bit Mary-Sueish actually. Although every time I read his name I had TrueBlood flashbacks (because, seriously, Eric and Talbot - that's one hell of an homage).

There isn't much to the plot but it rips along nicely with few surprises. And the backstory is filled in naturally without unnecessary exposition. The only thing that stopped me from giving this five stars was the simplicity of the plot and the flatness of the badguy. He was an asshole from the beginning and it was obvious it was him. Eric knew it was him. Everyone knew it was him. Even his motivation was obvious from relatively early on. A little more complexity in the plot would have improved the story exponentially.

On the whole, this is a thoroughly enjoyable vampire story with engaging characters and plenty of action. I'm looking forward to book 2.